If you're considering re-opening your restaurant as stay-at-home restrictions are lifted, food delivery will likely be a key component of your business strategy. Whether you employ your food delivery drivers or utilize third-party food delivery services to deliver your food, keeping drivers safe is essential. Safe drivers equal safe consumers, and now more than ever that's key.
Here are a few tips to share with your drivers or couriers to keep them safe:
- Require drivers to wear a mask anytime they get out of the vehicle to make a delivery.
- Require drivers to wear disposable gloves throughout their entire shift.
- Provide hand sanitizer to drivers and require they use it regularly during shifts.
- Require drivers to wash their hands before and after making a delivery in the restaurant.
- Designate a special area in the restaurant for delivery drivers to pick up meals and sanitize that area often and restrict crowding around it.
- Require employees in the restaurant who package the delivery food to use hand sanitizer before packing every order before it is ready for the delivery drivers.
- Instruct drivers and customers that deliveries will be contactless to minimize possible spread.
- Require customers to pay for their delivery meal ahead of time with a credit card and instruct drivers not to accept cash.
- Provide disinfectant wipes to be used on the steering wheel and other hard surfaces in the car after shifts are done.
- If drivers show any symptoms, require them to stay home.